Matter support will be added to existing Decora Smart Wi-Fi 2nd Gen Devices throughout 2023. The first devices to receive Matter support in early 2023 will be the Wi-Fi 2nd Gen D26HD Dimmer and D215S Switch. Additional Wi-Fi 2nd Gen devices are planned for future updates.
Adding Matter Support To Your Decora Smart 2nd Gen Wi-Fi Device:
The below step-by-step update instructions will show how the firmware update process will work and how to obtain a Matter QR code using the My Leviton app (a My Leviton account is NOT required). Once the update is complete, your device will be ready to join any of the required Matter enabled controllers, such as a HomePod, HomePod Mini, Apple TV HD, or Apple TV 4K.
If you already have a My Leviton account, please see the following article: How do I Update my Decora Smart Wi-Fi 2nd Gen device to Support Matter if I have a My Leviton account?
Adding Matter Support To You Decora Smart 2nd Gen Wi-Fi Device:
- If you are an Apple HomeKit user and do not have a My Leviton account, you can upgrade to Matter using the My Leviton app by selecting “Use with HomeKit Only” on the login page and navigating to the “System Updates” tool.
- Please note to update your devices without a My Leviton account, your devices must already be enrolled into the Apple Home app.
- The following note is important if you are a HomeKit user: Updating to Matter will remove your Decora Smart Wi-Fi device’s current connection to Apple HomeKit.
With the devices enrolled in HomeKit, the My Leviton app (no account required) will be used to perform a firmware update and generate a Matter QR code. With the update complete your device will NO LONGER SUPPORT HomeKit but will be ready to be re-added to the Apple Home app using the Matter pairing code provided by the My Leviton app. Controlling Matter accessories with the Apple Home App and Siri requires a HomePod, HomePod Mini, Apple TV HD, or Apple TV 4K. Any existing HomeKit schedules or routines will need to be recreated after the transition to Matter. In addition to connecting to Apple Home, your device will also be able to connect with any other Matter enabled controllers. For an update on Matter availability, please read the article Decora Smart Wi-Fi 2nd Gen Matter Support.
If your device is already enrolled in HomeKit you can skip this step and proceed to Updating Firmware. Enrolling To HomeKit (Apple Home):
Note: The QR code label with a house and 8 digit pin is a HomeKit QR code and is NOT compatible with Matter.
We will be using this label to first enroll your device to HomeKit. If your device is already enrolled in HomeKit you can skip this step and proceed to Updating Firmware.
- These instructions will apply only for Decora Smart Wi-Fi Gen 2 products
- 1st generation (DW***) or (DH***) products will not be compatible with Matter
You will be using the Apple Home app
and the My Leviton for your iOS app from the Apple App Store.
Open the Apple Home App
Add the Leviton Decora Smart accessories in the Apple Home App:
Press + in the right corner:
Choose Add Accessory:
Scan the QR code:
The connection process may take 30 seconds to a minute
Choose the room:
Name the Leviton Device:
With the Leviton device added to the Apple Home app launch the My Leviton app. If you did not recently download the My Leviton app, please confirm in the app store you are running the latest version.
If you will only be using the My Leviton app for firmware updates and device configuration. You do not need to create a My Leviton account.
Scroll down below the Login options and choose 'Use with HomeKit'.
Verify the supported devices and choose Continue. For Matter updates, the device must be a compatible Decora Smart Wi-Fi 2nd Gen Device.
Choose Siri only:
Choose Yes, Continue:
You will be prompted to allow the My Leviton app to access data from the Home app.
All Leviton products included in the Home app will be listed.
Press the Menu button in the lower right corner.
Press System Updates.
Depending on the current version of firmware you MAY see the following prompt to update to firmware 1.4.8. Press update to update to 1.4.8. If your firmware is newer than 1.4.8 you may see the System Updates screen (next step).
System Updates Screen:
Press 'Check For Updated'
Press OK when prompted for 'Cloud Firmware Check'
At this time your switch or dimmer is downloading the Matter firmware. The process can take several minutes. If you don't want to wait you can return to this screen in 10 to 15 minutes or if you leave your app active it will show the Update when available.
The following note is important.
- With the update completed your device will NO LONGER SUPPORT HomeKit and will be ready to join Apple Home via Matter
- Each Decora Smart 2nd Gen device must be updated to Matter one at a time
- Do not exit the update process early
- If the device is updated and the QR code is not saved you can create a My Leviton account to retrieve the QR code
- The Matter QR code is the final step of the firmware update process
Once the firmware update is complete the app will show a QR code
- Each QR Code is unique to each device
- It is essential that you save or print this Matter QR Pairing Code
- After pressing Continue the Matter pairing code can always be retrieved by creating a My Leviton Account, enrolling your device, and navigating to Device Settings in the My Leviton app
- It is recommended to store the Matter QR Pairing Code in a safe place that is easily retrieved in the future if you wish to pair your device to an additional Matter Platform
For more information on firmware updates, see the following article: Checking and Updating Firmware on Decora Smart® Wi-Fi Devices.