If you are having trouble connecting your Decora Smart Wi-Fi device to your Wi-Fi network, take note of where the failure is occurring during the process (as described below), and follow the troubleshooting procedures for that step in the process. Refer to this article for all of the steps in the process: Add a Decora Smart Wi-Fi Device to the My Leviton App
Before you begin, please verify that you are attempting to enroll a Decora Smart Wi-Fi device. The first 2 characters of a Decora Smart Wi-Fi device is DW (e.g. DW15S, DW6HD, DW15P, etc.). If the device begins with a DH or DZ (e.g. DH15S, DZ15S, etc.), it is not a Decora Smart Wi-Fi device and cannot be used with the My Leviton App.
This article was written for the Decora Smart Gen 1 devices, if your device is a Decora Smart Gen 2 Wi-Fi devices the part number will start with D2, please refer to the article Add a Decora Smart® 2nd Gen Wi-Fi Device to the My Leviton App.
Also, make sure that the mobile app that you are using is named My Leviton. Other Leviton mobile app, such as Decora Smart Home or Decora Digital Dimmer & Timer cannot be used for Decora Smart Wi-Fi devices.
Unable to connect directly to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device
In Step 2 of the process, where you attempt to connect directly to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device that is listed in the Wi-Fi networks (it will be listed in the format of Leviton Device-xxxx), instead of connecting you receive a message stating it is "unable to connect" or simple never connects (e.g. no check mark next to the device).
The image below shows a successful connection to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device. If the device connects and you see this screen, skip to Decora Smart Wi-Fi device will not connect to the Wi-Fi Network or Leviton Cloud.
If the mobile device does not connect to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device at this step, please follow these troubleshooting step:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the My Leviton App. To ensure that you are running the latest version of the app, check for a My Leviton app update on the Apple App store or Google Play store.
- If available, try using a different mobile phone or tablet running the My Leviton app.
- Follow Steps 1 and 2 and see if you are able to connect to the device. If you are able to connect, see if you can complete the process.
- For more details please review the article "When enrolling a Wi-Fi Device, my Mobile Device cannot Connect to the Leviton Device in the Wi-Fi Settings"
- If you are using an Apple device with iOS 14 or later, you can connect in the W-Fi setting but the My Leviton app is not able to communicate, please read "I am Running iOS 14 and When I Try To Enroll a Device The Icon Spins and Will Not Connect"
- If you have a large number of Wi-Fi devices in your home, try to add any other Wi-Fi item to the network. If you are unable to connect other devices please consult your wireless router's specifications to determine the maximum number of wireless devices which can connect.
- Contact our technical support team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the type and model of mobile devices you are using and the model number of the Decora Smart device.
Decora Smart Wi-Fi device will not connect to the Wi-Fi Network or Leviton Cloud
If you are able to connect the mobile device to the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device but are getting a message that the device is unable to enroll, please follow these troubleshooting step:
- Factory Reset the Decora Smart Wi-Fi device by pressing and holding the top paddle for 15 seconds (until the LED begins to flash red and amber), then release the paddle. After a few seconds, the LED will flash green.
Pay attention to the Status LED during the remainder of the enrollment process. When you get to the step where the device joins your Wi-Fi network (right after you select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password):
What is the color and state on the LED?
If the LED is solid green (or turns completely off if the light it is controlling is on), then please jump to "Device showing as not connecting and status LED is green" below.
If the LED flashes amber, please make sure that you are entering the correct password for the Wi-Fi network that you are connecting to. The password is case specific. You can press the eye icon to see the text to make sure you entered it correctly.
If your router has 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi signals on the same Network Name (SSID), try splitting these out into different Wi-Fi network names.
For example, if you router uses the same Network Name (SSID) for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. The modification is to change the name of the 5GHz SSID, so that it has a different name from the name of the 2.4GHz SSID. The recommendation is to add the number 5 to then end of the existing name. For example, if the name of your SSID is Jones, then change the name of the 5GHz SSID to Jones5.
- Attempt to enroll the device again after following all of these steps to see if you are successful. If not, please contact our technical support team at email@example.com. Please include the type model number of the Decora Smart device and the brand and model of your wireless router.
- For additional help, you can call our support department.
Device showing as not connecting and status LED is green:
When adding a Decora Smart Wi-Fi device to the My Leviton app, if the LED on on the My Leviton device turns to solid green (or turns completely off if the light it is controlling is on) indicating it is connected to the Wi-Fi network, but the My Leviton App states not connected, add the following steps to the process:
Default the device and restart the inclusion process. After entering the Wi-Fi password and hit Next. Watch the LED on the Decora Smart device.
When the LED turns solid green:
- Return to the mobile device home screen and enter Settings. Select Wi-Fi settings.
- Select your Wi-Fi network from the list of available Wi-Fi networks.
- When your mobile device is connected to your Wi-Fi network, return to the My Leviton app.